What is WEEC?
World Environmental Education Congress – WEEC – is an international congress addressing education for environment and sustainable development. WEEC 2015 is the 8th congress and will take place in Gothenburg, Sweden, between the 29 of June and 2 of July 2015. University of Gothenburg and Chalmers University of Technology will through the Centre for Environment and Sustainability be hosting the congress together with the WEEC permanent secretariat.
Who should come?
The congress is an international meeting point for everyone working with education for environment and sustainable development or which have an interest in the field. WEEC 2015 is as such an opportunity to learn more about the latest in environmental and sustainability education, to discuss with people from all over the world, to share your own work and to learn from others. We are expecting participants from a wide range of countries. Are you maybe a researcher, educator, student, decision-maker, NGO or media working with or having an interest in education for environment and sustainable development, or are you just curious? Welcome!
Are you interested in sharing your research or sharing good examples regarding education for environment and sustainable development? Perhaps you work with an interesting education model which you would like to share through for example a workshop? In that case we recommend you to submit an abstract by the 19 of December, 2014. The registration for the congress opens on the 15 of November, 2014.
Examples of participants:
- Researchers and educators at universities
- Teachers teaching all ages
- Folk high-schools
- Local, regional and national government agencies, municipalities
- Officials from international organizations
- Managers of parks and protected areas
- Private companies who are interested in environmental and sustainability issues and in education
The congress will discuss the role and importance of education for environment and sustainability at all levels; both in higher education and for lower ages.
Two main categories of abstracts can be submitted: academic abstracts and practitioner abstracts. As such, practitioner abstracts could be a description for example of a teaching model regarding environment and sustainability.
The main venue will be Gothenburg Concert Hall (Viktor Rydbergsgatan, Götaplatsen) where registration,
exhibition and plenary sessions will take place.
Parallel sessions will be held in University buildings nearby, such as:
- The Academy of Music and Drama (Artisten)
- The Faculty of Arts (Humanisten)
- The Department of Philosophy, Linguistics and Theory of Science (Hovrätten)
- The University Library (UB)
Photo of the Concert Hall: Sofia Paunovic, www.mffoto.se
Meeting possibilities during the congress:
- Plenary sessions and debates with keynote speakers
- Parallel sessions where the submitted abstracts will be presented by oral presentations, workshops or round tables.
- In addition, there will during the congress be an ongoing poster exhibition with the accepted poster abstracts where each author will be assigned a time slot for presentation of the poster.
- There will also be an exhibition where you can show your work during the whole congress. For this option, please contact: email@example.com
- NGO forum where NGOs will present their programs, projects, and productions. A space with a table will be offered to each NGO for a three hour period, where presenters will interact with Congress participants. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- During the congress, there will also be symposium possibilities (90 minutes) where the interested will be in charge of the topic and participant arrangement while the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) can provide the facilities. This will need to be communicated with the LOC in advance through the e-mail: email@example.com
- Outside of the congress there will be the possibilities of arranging a side event. Also for this, the LOC can provide the facilities why this will need to be communicated with the LOC in advance through the e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Break-out sessions might be offered a location if announced beforehand to email@example.com, depending on the amount.